Tuesday, November 19, 2013

After Kony: Staging Hope



This movie was absolutely beautiful; in fact, a couple times, I had to hold back tears. I tend to get really absorbed into the movies I watch, and I tend to sympathize with the main characters. With that being said, the stories of the 14 Ugandan teenagers made me have so much respect and love for them. The story of the girl who was raped really moved me. They captured her and abducted her where she was raped and sexually abused. I aspire to be a therapist of some sort when I get older, therefore psychology and matters surrounding the mind have always interested me. It really took that girl a lot of courage to be able to participate in the theatrical program that was offered to her with so much enthusiasm was touching. I only say this because rape victims are often left with psychological trauma that usually needs some sort of therapy. Living in the camp grounds that she was, she was always surrounded with the stresses of struggling for food, water, and many other basic needs, while quietly suffering inside of her psychological traumas. That theatrical production was a sort of therapy for her. Seeing the happiness and laughter in her eyes during their theater practices only proved that this opportunity was more than just that, but it changed her life. She was given the assurance that life is cold without hope, and that message was well-played throughout the movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment